I have seen groups and posts about simple living, but most of them are either about homesteading/farming or minimalism so it became obvious that the subject means something different to everyone. I wouldn’t at all call myself a minimalist. That just isn’t one of my goals in life, and I don’t like the cold feeling of having little in possessions and the modern furnishings you see in their posts. That doesn’t mean that some of their ideas aren’t inspiring to me just that I wouldn’t take it as far as they do. Simple living for me is to be content where you are with what you have, enjoying things that most people take for granted in life. Living in the moment which is still one of the hardest things for me to be present and not thinking of what’s to come or what has past. Basically to enjoy life and be thankful to God for each day.
My New Years’ resolution this year was to SLOW down!
I don’t feel that we have an overly fast pace lifestyle, to begin with BUT what I really feel like I wanted here was to slow my mind and thought process down… having too much on the table of our minds can really bring you down and make you feel like life is out of control and not good. It doesn’t have to be this way yet sometimes we can get stuck in the rut of taking in too much information that isn’t even necessary for living. People get wrapped up in politics and demanding rights and all of these things you see on social media today, and it gets to be too much thrown in your face. I’ve recently taken the time as I said in a previous post, to clean up my FB account and it has made a major difference. Not only that but I’m using the site less now. which is giving my mind some much-needed rest.
Being the list maker that I am, here is a list of a few goals I have for living a more simple life.
- Prayer over worry: Worrying about everything gets us nowhere, while prayer places things into the hands of our God.
- Enjoy the little things: Flowers gifted by little hands, birds singing in the morning, a light breeze in the evening… a beautiful sunset.
- Be more frugal: Try to buy things that will last longer such as bar soap over liquid, this also includes simple meals and keeping waste to a minimum.
- Read the bible every day: Whether it is one verse or a whole chapter/book. Just read something out of the bible every day.
- Spend more time outside: I am a homebody but once I quit being stubborn and get outside I always end up feeling better.
- Have more family time: We are a really close family but I think sometimes we could do more with our kids instead of doing things that are by habit.
- Kick clutter out: This is a tough one for most people because it’s an ongoing process that never ends. Deal with clutter right away.
- Live in the moment: I have always been a daydreamer so for me being present is not an easy task, but look how much is missed when we aren’t.
- Work on gardening: The idea of gardening is awesome, but my brown thumb gets in the way every time. Practice makes perfect, right?
- Be thankful and content: Don’t say I’ll be happy when… or I’d be happy IF…. JUST be happy, thankful and content today no and ifs or buts. ~
This is what simple living is to me, what are some things that you would like to work towards in your life?